Terrence writes;

I agree. I do concentrate on essence and at that I am very critical. What I
meant was they seem to be bound by being critical or they abide so noticeable
to it or seem to feel they have to carefully (perhaps pedantically)
contextually reference it somehow. I think its important and just relax and
create. If your reinventing then its is traditional critical mannerism. You
still have to make the work entertaining or attractive somehow. Some of my
early student works were mannered or powerfully barbaric. I wasn't trying to do
anything but learn to paint and play. I wasn't wanting to follow authority or
sit there and allow my mind to follow what some other person decided to do with
art in general. It was about exploration of technique and non technique/ my
critical eye and my psyche. Since then things have progressed but in a
different direction then almost every artist I know. My primitive nature and
garden paintings were about urgency a clash of ideals and culture and
traditional vs environmental. I carry that with me to my latest efforts which i
hope will bear fruit in this communication/ .com environment but i need to feel
grounded. I guess i am not swept away by what others have done however i do
admire and learn from them and carry pieces of their thoughts with me while not
wearing those pieces like scout badges. I respect the fact that i am every bit
as clever. I think everyone has that in them. I just don't imagine me selling
my paintings at the moment as anything but artifacts.

I think it is ok to ape it up but then even with critical concepts monkey see
monkey do. Duchamp though more about what it is art was doing and being. If you
look at any genre it is/was a work done within certain rules. Like a game. You
break the rules people notice. Break critical rules people notice. I think
about what art communicates in terms of audience and how that may never be
really satisfied. With that I just decide to play a game for a while if it
bores me I move on. I think about what i have to say rather then how i say it
or how whit one could be. I believe one still needs to say or comment on ether
their person or the world around them without feeling restrained.

I suppose i am subversive. If art is to break free it will have to be more like
that. Art can be its own patron if you allow it.

Terrence Kosick
artnatural