Terrence writes;

Sounds like a script about bureaucracy and those who get a thrill from
enforcing rules and regulations.

It reminds me of a siding salesman (among other professions) named Eddy
Edwards. Eddy used to work out at a gym popular with young jocks and
professional players and a few "rounders", guys who like to make a quick buck
doing whatever it takes to keep out of the 9-5. Eddy was your typical wise guy.
A small time hustler. At the time he was selling roofs windows vinyl siding to
whatever sucker he could charm. Me and my pals fresh from school and pumped by
testosterone liked the prattle of risky bussiness and marveled at the the tough
boasts of the cool/dangerous characters that hung out at the gym. Eddy stood
out like the archtype of the breed. It was always 'hey Eddy ows it going?' Eddy
always had a smile and a good story.

 Eddy dissapeared for a time. No one knew where he went. I found out when he
showed up a year later. Eddy Edwards had a good story. After being chased out
of small towns across the province, Eddy said he went out to Calgary Alberta to
try his luck selling vinyl siding in the oil patch. Eddy was not used to the
regulations and licencing procedures and his usual short cut methods were not
paying off. Eddy knew that if you don't get the work cleared over hurdles like
heritage and zoning regs fast enough the deal could sour. (When the customer
could have the time to double check the exorbitant price.)

It seems Eddy was having a tough time with delays and red tape of City Hall
Engineering and Provincial Heritage regs. Eddy was new to the territory and was
not sure how to get his way. No matter what, Eddy the outsider, was foiled by
the officious dry clerks who would not warm up to his sweet talk and hints of a
'little extra' to get the thing through. Deal after deal soured due to delays
and holdups by the bureaucracy and officious clerks. Eddy got frustrated one
day after being letdown by a particullary malicious diminutive clerk who
dismissed Eddy with an air of smarmy detest. Eddy flipped and told the clerk if
he did'nt pass his licence application (for a particulary large apartment
project) "I'll put you in a pine box". Eddy got 6 months. He came back to his
old territory and made amends with his old bureaucratic 'connections'.

The gym closed a few years later and I had'nt seen Eddy for 20 years untill a
few months ago when I was in Small Claims Court to get a slumlord to pay up on
a contract (he did). Eddy was there! Eddy Edward the hustler, the wise guy was
a little grayer and sadly a bit hunched over. Eddy was all alone seeking
damages from the Public transit Corporation for some sort of injury. The
Transit's Lawyer was there with 3 witnesses. Eddy had supposidly "slipped" and
injured himself getting off a bus. (Eddy never slipped in his life). The Judge
said he had no time to listen to so many witnesses and granted a continuence.
Eddy seemed very happy. Such bureaucratic delays ment Eddy! might force The
Transit People to a settlement as this was costing them more (lawyer and
witnesses about 1,400.00 ) then Eddie's time.  Eddy Edwards older but wiser
found that by joining bureaucracy, keeping his claim under 10,000.00 (and out
of the very costly Supreme court) he could get his way. I smiled and watched as
the wise old grey fox, Eddy Edwards paced his way out on this, his new
territory.

T.

when she was