Terrence J Kosick wrote:

> Terrence writes
>
> Postitution is an honest exchange at a fair market value or as supply and demand
> and it never seeks to qualify for grants to support it.

Really?  What about the pimp?  : )

> I abohore patriarchy as an infantile wish. I see Duchamp as a creator of ideas
> that some pick up on. It's not a rule, like a lesson from daddy unless you make it
> so. How dreary to think that you have to seek father's avice everytime you go out
> to have an adventure. How would anything new be discovered? Might as well hop back
> in the womb of another man's ideas and play it safe if you won't take risks.

I don't see Duchamp as a patriarch, and you're not saying that from my interpretation
- he was the ultimate in risk-takers because he didn't give a damn.  I see him as an
artist who broke the rules, changed the course, and because of his fame, or infamy,
was written up in capital letters, thus, got noticed.  Speaking of same (fame?), where
would the art world be without The Armory Show of 1913?

Pulling down a tome and resorting to quotes, and quotes within quotes from the
catalogue accompanying "The Spirit of Fluxus"

"Especially influential to Fluxus were the ideas of the artist and philosopher Marcl
Duchamp (associated both with Dada and Surrealism) and the composer and teacher John
Cage (an admirer of Duchamp who maintained an interest both in Dada and in
non-Western, nonrationalized thought, and who passed on these interests to a new
generation of young, postwar artists).  As Ben Vautier wrote:  'Without Cage, Marcel
Duchamp, and Dada, Fluxus would not exist...Fluxus exists and creates from the
knowledge of this post-Duchamp (the ready-made) and post-Cage (the depersonalization
of the artist) situation."

As my locally adored, now deceased,  lovely artist watercolor friend, Sam Colburn,
once wrote in a Christmas card to an art gallery in which I worked,

Merry Merry, Happy Happy,
What the Hell, Just Send the Check.

PK