Devon:

        Many thanks for presenting your time & ideas re time & entropy

        Am auditing a class in Philosophy and Film--mainly decided to do
so
to see again many of the great films have not seen in some time--SUNRISE,
STRIKE, MOTHER, MAN WITH A MOVIE CAMERA,  some Brakhage--this just in
first weeks--also POTEMKIN--and some other recent short films--

        there is a Japnaese exchange  student in class  and I am helping
her
with the readings, which is good as helps me make sure to be attentive
with them & understand them as much as possible--
        we are reading together the first three chapters of Gilles
Deluze's Cinema  Movement-Image--the first volume of his two vol. set re
cinema

        the first chapters may be of interest to you as they are concerned
with ideas of movement in relation to time and representation in the works
of Bergson, in particular his 1896 MATTER AND MEMORY--and in turn in
relation to film--

        re art & entropy--there's a great little book by Rudolf Arnheim
from I believe it is U Cal Press, 1971--the title is either ART AND
ENTROPY or ENTROPY  AND ART--he cites at one point as examples the work of
Malevich and of Robert Smithson--the latter especially, both in his Earth
works and in his essays--wrote a good deal and thought a good deal on
entropy--Malevich does as well in his essays, though from a different
viewpoint--concerned with non-objectivity--whereas Smithson is concerned
more with matter--

        the Smithson are collected in his WRITIINGS, also from U Cal
Press--the updated version from 1996 I think it is--the layout is smaller
than the first edition, but includes a few more pieces of interest than
the
first edition--

        one of the most important re photography and time and entropy is
his
A TOUR OF THE MOnUMENTS OF PASSAIC, N.J.-
        you might find that of great interest in relation to your
project--

        it is humorous we have nearly the same time for the
project--though in a relative sense, it may be not so nearly  the
same--as where are
you in space?-- i am in Milwaukee, WI USA so that is continental united
states central time--

        wd highly recommend the Arnheim and the Smithson--

        also the later advances in entropy studies leading to the
discovery of negentropy--in relation to art--are in ORDER OUT OF CHAOS by
Ilya Prigogine and Isabelle Stengers
        (NY:  Bantam, 1984)

        --
        "Ain't it high time" drawled the Sheriff, "to git rid of them
clocks?  I mean the Good Lord when He made the world only talked bout

        One wag pointed out that a sundial basically did this--and old
Sheriff Holcomb plumb shot him in the foot.

        "Gol dang it! Always got t' be some know-it-all gummin' up the
works--when life should just be kept plain and country simple."

--dbchirot