Hello Kjell,

Saturday, August 23, 2008, 5:44:08 PM, you wrote:

First of all, I'm learning about all that myself, so my answers might
not be necessary correct (I hope someone will correct me if I'm
wrong).

> Okay I want to compile it on cygwin.
> Which version of fonc should I use?

This one is a bit old, but is more likely to compile without problems:
http://piumarta.com/software/cola/idst-20070918.tar.gz

The latest version you can download using:
svn co http://piumarta.com/svn2/idst/trunk idst

you would need to install svn (either stand alone or through cygwin)

> What is Jolt?

It's a function language with a scheme-like syntax. It's a bit like
scripting language, since you don't compile it to an executable,
though it compiles to machine code at run time.

> What is Coke?

Here's what I'm confused, either it is a separate language, or it is
another name for jolt.

Though if it is a different language, then it's extremely similar to
jolt:
http://piumarta.com/software/cola/coke.html
(pretty much everything described here work in jolt)

> What is Pepsi?

Pepsi is object oriented prototype-based language, that resembles
Smalltalk. Unlike Jolt, it is compiled into an executable.
I think another name for it is also idst.

http://piumarta.com/software/cola/pepsi.html

Both of those links might not be completely up to date, but I think it
should provide most of needed information (especially if you already
know Scheme and Smalltalk)

> Cola is Lisp plus Smalltalk right?

Actually COLA is Pepsi & Coke/Jolt

>   Plus a lot of weird stuff like variables
> that are macros and weird stuff like that.
> Is there a debugger I can use to step through its execution?

As far as I know - no. If there is I'm really interested.
Because those languages are late bound sometimes is very hard to debug
them. With Pepsi, when you compile something, it doesn't mean it will
run, and when the compiled program won't run it won't display you line
code (perhaps that might be somehow solved by storing this information
in executable?)

> Are there test cases?

For Pepsi, there's object/st80/test-st80.st though it is more
about testing the st80 library.
There are also many examples.

> I don't know C so which compiler should I use? gcc?

I think it will work best with gcc (it might not even work with other
compilers at all)

> Could you point me to the mailing list where others have
> tried to do this?  Or perhaps I could be the example here?

As far as I know this is the only mailing list for Cola.
As for example, if you install cygwin (compiling on linux might be
less likely to fail though) you should install gcc, make and other
dependencies, you can also install svn (subversion) when you're at it)

Then go to the directory that you extracted and type:
make

That will take a while.

Once you finish that, you don't have to install it, just go to one of
examples and type make run to see how it works.

> Seems like most of the people here know gcc really really well.
> I don't.  I only know Smalltalk, Scheme, Prolog

Good news for you:
Once you compile it (and if everything goes well, typing make should
do everything) you won't really have to worry about C. Most C related
stuff is only when you want to call libc functions from Pepsi or Jolt.

I'm a C guy, and I actually never learned Smalltalk and Scheme, so
learning about Jolt and Pepsi takes a lot of time for me. I think it
should be way easier for you.

> although I did C in the 1980s.

I don't think it changed that much since then ;)
Though I doubt you'll need it much (most of the .c files are generated
from the Pepsi source code)

> I hated Microsoft's C compiler so much that I swore I would
> never touch C again.  But turbo C was good.
> If you help me then my example might help others too.
> I like to document.  So this tendency might be useful to you.

I don't think you should have problem with it, as long as you install
everything you need in cygwin.
If you'll still have problems I'll try my best to help.

--
Best regards,
 Derek                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

It's not bogus, it's an IBM standard