> Alejandro Garcia wrote:

>>> Well it isn't a system in the same sense that a map isn't the terrain. I
>>> think people call those things a representation.
>>>

>> Precisely! So we *are* on the same page. It's a representation which
>> doesn't always preserve a system's "complexity" (without defining
>> "complexity").
>>

> No we are not in the same page. I'm pretty sure that if a map shows a
> mountain and I go to the terrain that mountain is going to be there. [...]
> I'd better got to know them. For example I can't see the entire USA or the
> entire planet but with a good map I can make pretty good Idea of how that
> system "looks".

But a good map-maker includes the "important stuff" and discard the
"details". When "complexity" or more specifically "the possible states of
each component" are part of the "important stuff", CRT is not a good
representation of a system.

So all I'm getting from your earlier point is that the CRT representation of
>> a system can't be used to define "complexity". So it's a crappy
>> representation, after all.
>>

> The point of the diagrams was to show that some people think of complexity
> as the number of nodes + arrows in a system.(ie how many words it takes to
> describe it), while other people see complexity as the number of degrees of
> freedom (possible states) of the system.

Both seem like perfectly adequate definitions of properties of a system.
Might be a good idea to call one of them "in vitro complexity" and the other
"live complexity". Or maybe call the former is better referred to as "size"?
I see how the former thread now - great point.

System A has 16 possible sates
> System B has 2
> So in essence system B is equivalent to just one circle! Isn't that
> "simple" (Inherent Simplicity as Goldratt would call it)

Are those numbers you derived from the picture alone? If you did, could you
go through the math? Unless I'm misunderstanding the notation (could you
link to a rigorous definition?), I see System B having a lot more than 2
states.