Hello Max!

almost exactly two years ago, I asked Ian Piumarta from VPRI a similar
question on the S3 (Self-Sustaining Systems) workshop in Potsdam, Germany:
Aren't Forth and especially Factor interesting candidates for FONC? He
definitely agreed, but admitted not having so much experience with
stack-based or concatenative languages.

Today, two years later, I would say that Slava Pestov and his development
team on Factor have convincingly demonstrated that stack-based and
concatenative languages are the most promising candidates supporting the
STEPS approach. Since I'm also doing research on concatenative languages, I
might be biased. However, my argumentation is a bit different. For me,
concatenative languages distill the techniques used for almost four decades
in building the most complex systems mankind has ever built:
telecommunication systems and the Internet. These kind of systems are
message-based, scale extremely well, they are roboust, concise (see the
TCP/IP example discussed elsewhere on this mailing list), flexible and
extremely adaptable. That's why I'm a bit surprised that the VPRI teams does
not seem to pay so much attention to Forth, Factor and related languages.

Gruß,

Dominikus