Ian, as an excellent musician, is making the big important point here ... that
musical time is not about integer ratios.

It is often wrongly taught that way, but it is actually about "meaning",
"pulse", "emphasis", and "phrasing".

Musical notation is not a program to be followed literally, but "hints to the
player" from the composer, similar to the script of a play to an actor from the
playwright.

To get from "hints" to something that sounds musical requires a fair amount of
knowledge and taste -- again similar to the difference between the even
monotone
delivery of words from the printed page and the soaring delivery done by
skilled
actors.

Many of these can be represented by heuristics, more parameters, plus a little
more outside advice. For example, the score authoring system Sibelius has
several performing "modes", and some of these are great improvements over the
metronomic notation.

I'm guessing that something could be learned in Fonc by thinking about
"interpreters that actually can interpret"

Cheers,

Alan