Some of the implications, anyway.  The benefits of the OS-perspective are
> clear.  Once it hits its stride, there will be no (technical) barriers to
> deploying the sorts of systems that we talk about here
> (Croquet-Worlds-Frank-OMeta-whatnot).  Others will be doing their own cool
> things, and there will be much creativity and innovation.
> However, elsewhere in this thread it is noted that the HTML-web is
> structured-enough to be indexable, mashupable, and so forth.  It makes me
> wonder: is there a risk that the searchability, etc. of the web will be
> degraded by the appearance of a number of mutually-incompatible
> better-than-HTML web technologies?  Probably not... in the worst case,
> someone who wants to be searchable can also publish in the "legacy" format.

Will the web be degraded by the appearance (or should I say proliferation)
of mutually-incompatible, but better than HTML technologies?

First off I would ask better in what way? I think the from a user experience
POV, I think when people say 'better' they mean richer interactively, which
implies better graphical capabilities, access to special hardware (e.g.
camera, mic, accelerometer, GPS, GPUs, GPGPU, etc.), faster startup,
robustness against network failure and so on.

Up until now and may be for some time into the future, the tradeoff of the
web as computing platform versus OS-native ones has been about generality
versus optimizability as enabled by resource specialization(or some such
related thing). Some use cases map  well to the general, others not. Only
within the last 3 years have we seen mass-market deployment and use of
Internet-scale software not entirely based on HTML/JS/CSS client
technologies. This has been mostly in the form of native mobile apps. But
these are still web apps, many of them still use the Web as connector (e.g.
HTTP), but the UI is realized using OS-native frameworks. And so what we
often lose is data transparency and portability. For instance, the Our
Choice interactive book app on iOS looks and feels great, but its worse than
the web in that I cannot even copy text from it. It, like many of the
non-ePub digital publications, is just an archive of images and audio-video
content pre-baked into a handful of layouts.

It's not that non-HTML client technologies degrade the web in and of itself,
take PDF for instance. Many PDF documents are linkable and searchable on the
web. But this is because software to read PDF is widely deployed, which was
enabled by a widespread access to the PDF standard. I think we can mitigate
the opacity introduced by non-HTML client technologies if we expand the ways
in which we implement links. Imagine encapsulating a reference to the
computation (or its type) that would resolve a less-transparent data format.

Probably not... in the worst case, someone who wants to be searchable can
> also publish in the "legacy" format.

The 'legacy' format is the point. I would say that the web isn't 'legacy',
but what makes legacy systems visible. If the Internet is a world of many
diverse islands of computational and network resources, the Web architecture
define languages for these islands to communicate.

The issues concerning web client UI rendering technologies are orthogonal to
other fundamental issues of the Web architecture.

I think what I've been really trying to get at with my initial question is
this. If the goal of the web architecture is for connecting resources, the
current architecture does well at connecting data, but not computation, not
at scale. Perhaps a theme of the developments around HTML5 is evolving the
Web architecture to better support connecting applications. But because the
Web was designed for exchanging representations of application state
(basically large-grained data), so many applications won't fit this model.
Imagine trying to run a high-frequency equity trading network atop the FedEx
air freight network, or worse the US Postal Service (or chose your local
postal service). Add to the fact of a client-server hierarchy and now you
have to deal with bottlenecks at those endpoints. Many web-based
applications are designed around this bottleneck, and so I see us running
into conceptual and structural scaling issues.