On 6/9/2011 12:20 PM, Josh Gargus wrote:
On Jun 9, 2011, at 12:06 PM, BGB wrote:

On 6/9/2011 11:10 AM, Josh Gargus wrote:
That all sounds very cool.

However, I don't think that it's feasible to try to ship something like this as
standard in all browsers, if only for political reasons.  It would be
impossible to get Mozilla, Google, Apple, and Microsoft to agree on it.

That's what's cool about NaCl.  It's minimal enough to be a feasible candidate
for universal adoption.  If it's adopted, then an ecosystem springs up with
people inventing recursive exokernels to run in the browser.

Cheers,
Josh

I don't understand though why one needs "recursive exokernels" though...
You're taking me too literally.  My point is that the first goal is to get widespread
adoption of something like NaCl that is good enough to host a POSIX environment, a
recursive exokernel, or whatever.  Once that first goal is achieved, well,  "let a
hundred flowers bloom".

yes, ok.

FWIW, I suspect I tend to be fairly literal/concrete minded in general (although I can still imagine lots of stuff as well...). however, I guess I am just not very good at dealing with abstract thinking/concepts/...

but, yeah, widespread Unix-like NaCl would be cool (and personally less off-putting than the idea of having to go do apps with all CGI+JavaScript or by using Flash... although before I saw something where Adobe was showing off a C -> AVM2 compiler, and demoing Quake running on top of Flash...).

or such...