Am 13.06.2011 11:50, schrieb BGB:
> an image based system, OTOH, often means having to drag around the image
> instead, which may include a bunch of "other
> stuff" beyond just the raw text of the program, and may couple the program
> and the particular development environment
> used to create it.
>
> this coupling may be somewhat undesirable, and it is preferable to have the
> source as files, so then one can "rebuild
> from source" whenever this is needed.
>
> also, another risk is of the development image becoming "polluted" as a
> result of prior actions or code, which may
> risk compromising a project.
Just some quick comments from a long-time Smalltalker (25 years):
Of course rebuilding from source is desirable at certain points in time. For
example, in the project I'm currently
working on, every production build is created from a clean image into which the
application's source code is loaded.
This is a single-click process, just like building a traditional program from
source files (except that we use VAST,
where the source code is held in an ENVY repository for version and
configuration control instead of plain files).
However, in the development process we rarely rebuild images from scratch. It's
not that we depend on image artefacts
created long ago, but we prefer to keep our personal selection of tools and
debugging aids. Using ENVY, it's very simple
to sync our actual application source with the newest version while keeping all
the tools intact. I normally rebuild my
development image only when we switch to a completely new base software
version, or when I've accidentally damaged it to
a point where self-repair is not possible anymore (extremely rare, I've done
that maybe 3-4 times during the project's
lifetime of about 12 years).
So, the risk associated with image-based development is mostly a theoretical
one. In practice, it can be controlled just
as well as with file-based development, and you get all the advantages of the
image on top :-)

Cheers,
Hans-Martin