On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:17 PM, Julian Leviston <jul...@leviston.net> wrote:
>> I think "Tiles prevent syntax errors" is a red herring.  Sure, you can
>> prevent stupid typos by offering only tiles with correctly spelled
>> keywords, but that's not really a major problem in ordinary
>> experience.  The more pernicious errors aren't especially affected one
>> way or the other by tile-based systems.  (You could just as accurately
>> say that strongly-typed systems prevent errors.)
>
> When you're about to type the next "tile", you're given options... anything
> outside of those options is impossible, so the computer doesn't put it in,
> because syntactically it wouldn't make sense.

There's nothing specific to tiles in what you wrote.  You could do the
same just as easily with a keyboard-based system.
This is what I mean when I say that "tiles prevent syntax errors" is
not accurate; it's confusing two separate things.
Again: more accurately you could say, "strong typing can prevent
syntax errors"...  tiles have nothing to do with it, really.
  --scott
--
      ( http://cscott.net )