On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 4:02 PM, BGB <cr88...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Consider what it'd be like if we didn't represent code as text... and
> represented it maybe as series of ideograms or icons (TileScript nod).
> Syntax errors don't really crop up any more, do they? Given a slightly nicer
> User Interface than tilescript, you could still type your code, (ie use the
> keyboard to fast-select tokens), but the computer won't "validate" any input
> that isn't in its "dictionary" of known possible syntactically correct items
> given whatever context you're in.

I think "Tiles prevent syntax errors" is a red herring.  Sure, you can
prevent stupid typos by offering only tiles with correctly spelled
keywords, but that's not really a major problem in ordinary
experience.  The more pernicious errors aren't especially affected one
way or the other by tile-based systems.  (You could just as accurately
say that strongly-typed systems prevent errors.)

> given that most non-Chinese can't read Chinese writing, despite that many of
> these characters do actually resemble crude line-art drawings of various
> things and ideas.

It is a common linguistic misperception that there is some one-to-one
correspondence between an ideogram and the idea it represents.  The
english letter "A" was originally a drawing of an ox-head.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A).  It is as accurate to say that
English letters resemble "crude line-art drawings" as to say that
Chinese ideograms do.

> and meanwhile, many Asian countries either have shifted to, or are in the
> process of shifting to, the use of phonetic writing systems (Koreans created
> Hangul, Kanji gradually erodes in favor of Hiragana, ...). even in some
> places in China (such as Canton) the traditional writing system is
> degrading, with many elements of their spoken dialect being incorporated
> into the written language.

This is also playing fast and loose with linguistics.  Let's be wary
of drawing analogies to fields where we are not expert.
  --scott

--
      ( http://cscott.net )