On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 1:40 AM, BGB <cr88...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> "The responsiveness of exploratory programming environments (such as the
>> Smalltalk programming environment) allows the programmer to concentrate on
>> the task at hand rather than being distracted by long pauses caused by
>> compilation or linking."
>
> this is also partly where dynamic script loading and eval can be nifty...
> say, one is using an app, and then in the console they type in a command,
> say:
> ;load("scripts/myscript.bs");
> and can quickly edit the file, hit the uparrow in the console to re-enter
> the prior command, and observe the results.
> or, the ability to directly type script commands into the console to observe
> results, ...

You should spend some time playing around with the Web Inspector in
Chrome or other Webkit browser.  Console, live code editing, lots of
other good stuff.  The only big drawback is the complexity of the
system: HTML+CSS+JS is quite a hairy beast.

> but, I was also left recently thinking some about the possible "strangeness"
> of me basically creating a vaguely Lisp-like programming environment within
> C.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenspun's_Tenth_Rule
  --scott

--