On 25 July 2011 17:01, Dethe Elza <de...@livingcode.org> wrote:

> On 2011-07-25, at 12:47 AM, Alan Kay wrote:
>
>> For example, some of our next version of Etoys for children could be done in
>> JS, but not all -- e.g. the Kedama massively parallel programmable particle
>> system made by Yoshiki cannot be implemented to run fast enough in JS. It
>> needs something much faster and lower level -- and this something has not
>> existed until the Chrome native client (and this only in Chrome which is
>> only about 11% penetrated).
>
> You don't have to wait for Chrome Native Client to have native levels of
> performance. Most of the current crop of browsers (i.e. not IE) use tracing
> JIT compilers to get close to native performance (in this experiment writing
> a CPU emulator in JS, one emulated instruction took approximately 20 native
> instructions:
> http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roc/archives/2010/11/implementing_a.html).
> Javascript is fast and getting faster, with array operations coming soon and
> Web Workers for safe parallelism (purely message-based threads) available now.
>
> You can play 3D shooters, edit video, synthesize audio, and run Linux on an
> emulated CPU in Javascript. I'm not sure what part of that is not fast enough.
>
> Some of it is cruft and some of it is less than elegant. But having higher
> level primitives (like what SVG and Canvas provide) isn't all bad.

But don't you see a problem:
 it evolving from simple 'kiddie' scripting language into a full
fledged system.

It is of course a good direction and i welcome it. But how different
our systems would be, if guys who started it 20 years back would think
a bit about future?
Why all those "emerging" technologies is just reproducing the same
which were available for desktop apps for years?
Doesn't it rings a bell that it is something fundamentally wrong with
this technology?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.