From: David Barbour <dmbarb...@gmail.com>
To: Fundamentals of New Computing <fonc@vpri.org>
Sent: Mon, July 25, 2011 12:59:16 PM
Subject: Re: [fonc] Alan Kay talk at HPI in Potsdam

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguc...@gmail.com> wrote:

how different our systems would be, if guys who started it 20 years back would
think a bit about future?

The guys who spend their time thinking about it lose, just as they always do.
Worse is better wins on the market. Brendan Eich was right to fear something
even worse than his rapidly hacked brainstorm child - i.e. if it were not
JavaScript/EcmaScript, we might be using proprietary VBScript from Microsoft.

Do you remember those battles between behemoths trying to place proprietary
technologies in our browsers? I do. 'Embrace and extend' was a strategy
discussed and understood even in grade school. I'm a bit curious whether Google
will be facing an EOLAS patent suit for NaCl, or whether that privilege will go
to whomever uses NaCl and WebSockets to connect browsers together.

It is interesting to see JS evolve in non-backwards-compatible ways to help
eliminate some of the poisons of its original design - eliminating the global
namespace, dropping callee/caller/arguments, development of a true module
system
that prevents name shadowing and allows effective caching, and so on. Mark
Miller, who has performed significant work on object capability security, has
also started to shape JavaScript to make it into a moderately sane programming
language... something that could be used as a more effective compilation target
for other languages.