No, I find it IS awe-inspiring all of the time.

I may not necessarily be full of awe or actually be inspired at any particular
one time... however, this doesn't change the fact that certain things or people
themselves are awe-inspiring all of the time to me. In other words, if I'm in a
bad mood, this is in itself not necessarily any fault, consequence or
relationship of or to the fact that Alan Kay is still an amazing person. Even
in my bad mood, I recognise he is awe-inspiring.

Guess this depends what you mean by awe-inspiring (as I originally said). If
you re-read the original context, he was talking about inherent breathtaking
beauty being required or not. I think to make something inherently beautiful or
to construct it with detailed thought is actually very worthwhile. Without
something being awe-inspiring, there's no possibility for awe to be inspired
when the conditions are right. When something is awe inspiring, it doesn't
necessarily always follow that awe will be inspired, though ;-)

:P

Julian