On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Loup Vaillant <l...@loup-vaillant.fr> wrote:

> I actually have hope that we eventually get to the point where we
> can actually understand what makes good art with mathematical
> precision (if we choose to).
>
> Of course, I agree that this question is far from solved.  It probably
> won't be before we fully understand the human brain.

I expect we will reach the point where computers can create good art before
we understand what makes good art. We will do so by *teaching* the computer
and leveraging feedback mechanisms (such as popularity and critic ratings).
There is already a lot of progress in this direction (cf.
http://artsites.ucsc.edu/faculty/cope/mp3page.htm)

Our computers will have the same problem we do: "I can't say what good art
is, but I can heuristically recognize it when I see it."

Regards,

Dave