On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Julian Leviston <jul...@leviston.net>wrote:

> I guess this depends what you mean by awe-inspiring.
>
> David this sentence somewhat disturbs me, though. I grew up in Tasmania -
> a little island at the bottom of Australia... with some of the most
> picturesque (and as you say here awe-inspiring) countryside in Australia. I
> can tell you for sure that humans don't become Jaded to it. It changes us,
> and vivifies us.

You don't find it awe-inspiring "all the time". (If you do, you're
certainly dysfunctional.) But I readily believe you still find it inspiring
"some of the time" - and that is enough to be an enriching experience.

As far as "it changes us" - I don't deny that. What is `becoming jaded` if
not one more change in us?

> I feel the same way about my balcony that overlooks the valley where I
> live, and also about the beautiful user interfaces that I use daily...
> these things impact me in a wonderful way, reminding me of the things and
> people I love. It doesn't make me jaded! Quite the opposite.

It is difficult to recognize you've become `jaded` until you've tried
something different, or lost what you had, or return to it after
acclimating to another environment. We measure our experiences in relative
terms, not absolute terms.

Regards,

Dave