Martin Baldan wrote:
That said, I don't see why you have an issue with search engines and
search services. Even on your own machine, searching files with complex
properties is far from trivial. When outside, untrusted sources are
involved, you need someone to tell you what is relevant, what is not,
who is lying, and so on. Google got to dominate that niche for the right
reasons, namely, being much better than the competition.

I wasn't clear.  Actually, I didn't want to state my opinion.  I can't
find the message, but I (incorrectly?) remembered Alan saying that
one-way links basically created the need for big search engines.  As I
couldn't imagine an architecture that could do away with centralized
search engines, I wanted to ask about it.

That said, I do have issues with Big Data search engines: they are
centralized.  That alone gives them more power than I'd like them to
have.  If we could remove the centralization while keeping the good
stuff (namely, finding things), that would be really cool.

Loup.