On Mar 14, 2012, at 17:17 , Jecel Assumpcao Jr. wrote:
> Alan Kay wrote on Wed, 14 Mar 2012 05:53:21 -0700 (PDT)
>> No matter what Apple says, the reasons clearly stem from strategies and
>> tactics
>> of economic exclusion.
>> So I agree with Max that the iPad at present is really the anti-Dynabook
>
> They have changed their position a little. I have a "Hand Basic" on my
> iPhone which is compatible with the Commodore 64 Basic. I can write and
> save programs, but can't send them to another device or load new
> programs from the Internet. Except I can - there are applications for
> the iPhone that give you access to the filing system and let you
> exchange files with a PC or Mac. But that is beyond most users, which
> seems to be a good enough barrier from Apple's viewpoint.

I have a little Postscript interpreter/scratchpad in the AppStore (TouchScript,
http://itunes.apple.com/en/app/touchscript/id398914579?mt=8 ).  Admittedly, it
was mostly a trial balloon to see if something like that would be accepted, and
it was (2nd revision so far).  And somewhat surprisingly a (very) few people
even seem to be using it!

Sharing is via iTunes.

I think people generally overthink the grand-strategy/evil-overlord aspects of
Apple's actions.   Having spent time on the inside, it was always funny to see
the interpretations in (particularly) the rumor mill of what were genuine
screw-ups or "we don't know how to do it better" moments.   Not saying that
Apple can't be very evil, they sure can.

In terms of apps, it seems to me that they went with a total lockdown model and
have been gradually loosening.

> http://twolivesleft.com/Codea/

Very nice.

> You can program on the iPad/iPhone, but can't share.

Sharing via iTunes works with TouchScript.  So far.

Marcel