On 6/14/2012 10:19 PM, John Zabroski wrote:

Folks,

Arguing technical details here misses the point. For example, a different conversation can be started by asking Why does my web hosting provider say I need an FTP client? Already technology is way too much in my face and I hate seeing programmers blame their tools rather than their misunderstanding of people.

Start by asking yourself how would you build these needs from scratch to bootstrap something like the Internet.

What would a web browser look like if the user didnt need a seperate program to put data somewhere on their web server and could just use one uniform mexhanism? Note I am not getting into "nice to have" features like resumption of paused uploads due to weak or episodic connectivity, because that too is basically a technical problem -- and it is not regarded as academically difficult either. I am simply taking one example of how users are forced to work today and asking why not something less technical. All I want to do is upload a file and yet I have all these knobs to tune and things to "install" and none of it takes my work context into consideration.

idle thoughts:
there is Windows Explorer, which can access FTP;
would be better if it actually remembered login info, had automatic logic, and could automatically resume uploads, ...

but, the interface is nice, as an FTP server looks much like a directory, ...

also, at least in the past, pretty much everything *was* IE:
could put HTML on the desktop, in directories (directory as webpage), ...
but most of this went away AFAICT (then again, not really like IE is "good").

maybe, otherwise, the internet would look like local applications or similar. they can sit on desktop, and maybe they launch windows. IMHO, I don't as much like tabs, as long ago Windows basically introduced its own form of tabs:
the Windows taskbar.

soon enough, it added another nifty feature:
it lumped various instances of the same program into popup menus.

meanwhile, browser tabs are like Win95 all over again, with the thing likely to experience severe lag whenever more than a few pages are open (and often have responsiveness and latency issues).

better maybe if more of the app ran on the client, and if people would use more asynchronous messages (rather than request/response).

so, then, webpages could have a look and feel more like normal apps.

Why do I pay even $4 a month for such crappy service?