Hi Jarek

This is the editor's hodgepodge of my oral hodgepodge -- and one could argue
that the nature of orality mitigates against trying to simply extract quotes,
try to fix them, and then print them. I find them pretty much impossible to
read.

The "Cerf and prizes" part doesn't make sense (since Vint has been awarded just
about everything that can be awarded). But he and I have both served on that
committee (post our awards), and while I regard it as the best most civilized
committee I've ever been on (a real pleasure!), I'm not so happy about the
larger process.

The most important points here (I think) are that (a) giving recognition to
*everyone* who deserves it just doesn't happen with any of the major awards (b)
there are biases from faddism, popularity, etc. (c) most of computing's
advances have to be implemented to assess them, and this almost always requires
teams -- and so much is learned by team interactions that (I think) the whole
team should be awarded (even the Draper Prize isn't comprehensive in this
fashion).

And, with regard to great hardware/system designers, the Turing Award has only
been given a few times and there are at least 5 to 10 people who have deeply
deserved it, including Bob Barton.

With regard to Barton, he was certainly one of the most amazing people I've
ever worked with. As with some of the other greats, he was not bound in any way
to mere opinion around him, and was able to identify great goals without regard
to their difficulty (which was sometimes too high for a particular era).

The class was quite an experience and completely liberating because he forced
us back to zero, but with the knowledge available "as perfume", just not in the
way of real thinking things through. He was able to demolish his own
accomplishments as well, so the destruction was total.

Cheers,

Alan