Erik van der Poel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > 
> > CMap               Character Set        Encoding        Notes
> > ------------------ -------------------- --------------- -----------------
> > RKSJ-H/V           JIS X 0208-1990      Shift-JIS       HW JIS-Roman @ 1B
> 
> According to Lunde's book, RKSJ stands for Roman, (half-width) Kana and
> Shift-JIS. This means that it also has single-byte half-width Katakana
> in it. The Roman and half-width Kana are from JIS X 0201-1976.

Well, presumably.  The Adobe docs didn't mention this, but they also
assumed that you know what RKSJ means...

> > UniJIS-UCS2-H/V    ISO 10646-1:2000     UCS2            P Latin in ASCII ra
> 
> Is it really all of ISO 10646-1:2000? Or just the JIS X 020[18]
> character sets, in UCS-2 encoding?

Uhh...  I can't tell.  It looks like it covers the JIX X stuff.  But
without sitting down with a copy of all of Unicode 3.0 and grinding
over the CMap I can't say for certain.  It *looks* like it covers a
lot, though.

> > Hankaku            -                    -               HW Latin & hiragana &
> >                                                         katakana @ 1B
> 
> Are you sure there are Hiragana in there?

Hey, that's what the Adobe docs said.  I have no clue, personally.
Haven't looked yet.

> > Hiragana           -                    -               HW hiragana @ 1B
> 
> Half-width Hiragana? Seems unlikely to me.

Again, that's what Adobe claims.  It's presumably possible that
there's HW hiragana in some fonts, since these may be needed by
publishers.  But I think the mere human needs them not.

> > CMap               XLFD CHARSET_REGISTRY   XLFD CHARSET_ENCODING
> > ------------------ ----------------------- -----------------------
> > H/V                JISX0208.1983           0
> > H/V                JISX0208.1990           0
> 
> The JISX0208.19xx fonts in the X world are normally only used for
> horizontal layout. You would probably need to use some other XLFD field
> for the vertical fonts (or just skip those for now).

That's right.

> > RKSJ-H/V           JISX0208.1983           0
> 
> I may be misunderstanding the machinery that you are going to use, but
> if you are going to use the encoding as is, then RKSJ is definitely not
> the same as JISX0208.1983. RKSJ is in Shift-JIS encoding. Or does the
> machinery take care of transcoding from JISX0208.1983-0 to RKSJ?

I don't know.  I didn't see if this worked.  So it probably doesn't.

> > EUC-H/V            JISX0208.1983           0
> 
> EUC has the 8th bit on both bytes set to one, so it is JISX0208.1983-1,
> which is deprecated, so you might want to just skip this one.

Yeah, I discovered that.

> > UniJIS-UTF8-H/V    ISO10646                1
> 
> UTF8 is not the same as ISO10646-1.

Right, UCS-2 is what is wanted.  That was a typo.

> > The JIS X 0212-1990
> > standard does not include Latin glyphs.
> 
> It does contain accented Latin characters, but I don't know whether the
> Adobe fonts contain glyphs for those.

Really?  It does?  The idea was for these CMaps to apply to *any*
CID-keyed font, not just Adobe's.  So if it's missing something then
the CMap needs updating.  What fonts contain and what *should* be
mapped according to standards are two different things.

I've gotten distracted trying to get XEmacs to do Japanese input.
I'll be reapproaching the font problem when I get that going (which
shouldn't take long).  I need *something* to test with.

'james

-- 
James A. Crippen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.20939N, -149.767W
Y = \f.(\x.f(xx)) (\x.f(xx))         |  |\  | Earth, Sol System,
Y(F) = F(Y(F))                        \_,-_/  Milky Way.
_______________________________________________
Fonts mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/fonts

Reply via email to