On 03 Jun 2001 23:05:48 +0200, Karen Lease wrote:

> Hello Weiqi Gao,

Hello Karen,

Thanks for the quick response.

> In XSL-FO table and cell borders are centered on the grid lines by
> default.

This doesn't seem to match my observation with the latest CVS.  If I
take away the margins on simple-page-master, and increase the
border-width on the border-cell to 1in, then in the resulting PDF, no
top or left borders are observable.  Shouldn't I be able to observe the
0.5in of the top and left border on the inside of the grid lines?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>
  <fo:layout-master-set>
    <fo:simple-page-master master-name="foo"
      <fo:region-body />
    </fo:simple-page-master>
  </fo:layout-master-set>
  <fo:page-sequence master-name="foo">
    <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
      <fo:table>
        <fo:table-column column-width="3in"/>
        <fo:table-body>
          <fo:table-row>
            <fo:table-cell border-style="solid" border-width="0.5in">
              <fo:block>This is a table cell example</fo:block>
            </fo:table-cell>
          </fo:table-row>
        </fo:table-body>
      </fo:table>
    </fo:flow>
  </fo:page-sequence>
</fo:root>

> In your example, this does make them hang over into the
> margins. However, I'm inclined to think it's a bug to not at least
> move the table down to account for this in the vertical direction.
> I'm not so sure about the horizontal direction.

Another question I have is about borders between adjacent cells.  With
the current CVS, if both cells are specified to have 1 inch borders,
then I will get 2 inches of borders between the cells.  Specifying
border-collapse="collapse" doesn't seem to help.

> In any case, you can force fop to put the borders inside the cells
> (and outside the table itself if borders are specified on the table).
> Add the attribute border-collapse="separate" to the fo:table object.
> In your example, this will put the thick borders inside the cell and
> they will no longer be outside the body-region.

This helps with the position of the table.  Thanks.

--
Weiqi Gao
A programmer in St. Louis,