It prints the face sheet on letter.  I have also
downloaded a ps file from elsewhere (not generated
thru fop), and it printed out ok on letter.

A snapshot of my simpe-page-master is:

     <fo:simple-page-master master-name="front"
page-height="29.7cm" page-width="21cm" margin-top="1
.0cm" margin-bottom ="1cm" margin-left="1cm"
margin-right="1cm">
        <fo:region-before extent="1cm"/>
        <fo:region-body margin-bottom="1cm"
extent="13.7cm"/>
        <fo:region-after extent="11cm"/>
      </fo:simple-page-master>

The page height is converted to -49 inches, and the
width is converted correctly to 8.5 inches (I get this
info from the generated ps file).
Might if have something to do with the other lenght
specs, even though I made sure they add up to 29.7cm?

Wabei