> So do others agree that this would be the way to go.

I do.

> I have one question that hopefully someone knows answer (or knows who to
> ask).
>
> Since FOP is can be run in a number of ways (command line, in servlet
> (cocoon), embedded), how can the logging be setup so that the fop logger
> will become a child of the container (logkit) logger?
> That is, the logging will inherit the details from the container (priority,
> filters, formatters and targets).
>
> This will most likely be done from the caller side, where fop simply gets
> the logger for "fop" and does not need to know about anything else, so that
> it works exactly the same way no matter how it is run.

As I understand Avalon the goal is that the container looks after it's
children (Container sets the Logger for a child. See
org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.Loggable. Same with Configurable) and
the children should contain no references to it's parent (I think that's
part of what's called Inversion of Control). There's a good, new article
by Berin Loritsch that goes into more detail.

I think in this context a servlet (as container) will set the Logger for
FOP which in turn sets the Logger for its children. The same applies to
a command-line container etc. Well, I'm not the expert about Avalon, yet,
but I hope it helps.

> Ideally this will be in place for the release after the next (imminent)
> one.

I'll help as much as I can.

Jeremias Märki

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

OUTLINE AG
Fon +41 (41) 317 2020 - Fax +41 (41) 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch