Your help is very welcome.

Unfortunately the the solution to the problem is not that easy. This is one
area that fop does not handle very well and we are in search of a solution.

The problem of keeps (and space resolution etc.) is one that spans across
the fo heirarchy in a number of directions. This makes it difficult to
handle without a rehash of how the layout is organised.

An effort is underway in this direction but there seems to be a fair amount
of resistance to change (from fop).

Hope this doesn't put you off.