Total agreement to everything Keiron just said.

However, that's not to say that we can't work up something that meets your
needs for 'keep-together' on fo:list-item. It's usually possible to take
care of a specific; as Keiron says it's the general case (making keeps work
everywhere that they are supposed to) that is rather more of an obstacle. I
have some ideas in regard to how you might want to tackle the problem you
describe and will elaborate this evening.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom

At 09:38 AM 8/7/01 +0200, Keiron Liddle wrote:

>Your help is very welcome.
>
>Unfortunately the the solution to the problem is not that easy. This is one
>area that fop does not handle very well and we are in search of a solution.
>
>The problem of keeps (and space resolution etc.) is one that spans across
>the fo heirarchy in a number of directions. This makes it difficult to
>handle without a rehash of how the layout is organised.
>
>An effort is underway in this direction but there seems to be a fair amount
>of resistance to change (from fop).
>
>Hope this doesn't put you off.
>
>On Tue, 07 Aug 2001 03:21:14 Don Wellington wrote:
>> Hi-
>>
>> Well, I am trying to make my first contribution to
>> FOP. By working on bug 2988 which I submitted.  I
>> willingly accept any and all help.
>>
>> I tried forcing the status return from
>> ListItemLabel.layout to keep-with-next in an attempt
>> to force other code to handle keeping the
>> list-item-label and list-item-body together. That
>> didn't work, but keep-with-next is broken anyways, so
>> that is probably not  unexpected.  My thought right
>> now is to change
>> the end of ListItemLabel.layout to:
>>
>> if(status == Status.OK) {
>>    status = new Status(Status.KEEP_WITH_NEXT);
>> }
>> return status;
>>
>> At least temporally, until I figure how to get FOP to
>> obey the keep_with_next when there is an
>> external-graphics as the first element in the
>> list-item-body.
>>
>> Anything wrong with that?  Any pointers in the right
>> direction?
>>
>> Don Wellington

>For additional commands, email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)