At 01:59 PM 9/6/01 +0200, Keiron Liddle wrote:
>On Tue, 04 Sep 2001 12:37:34 Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>> One thing I was going to suggest is, and since you mentioned pictures
>> anyway, is let's take this as a useful working high-level design
>> description, and convert it into a high-level design doc, complete with
>> static and dynamic diagrams (UML or whatever). Seems to me that with this
>> doc we are definitely at the stage where prose has maybe been taken about
>> as
>> far as it will go.
>
>I had a quick look at Argo and its starting to look good for importing code
>in the latest (development) version. (has some bugs.)
>
>I could put the new design docs in the docs/design directory and in future
>we could use something like Argo to generate UML diagrams (exports svg)
>that can be included in the docs. The advantage being that anyone can grab
>argo and use it.
>
>Then we should be able to give a serious look at the lower level details.

Along those lines I'd recommend going for the Poseidon for UML application
from Gentleware AG, the Community Edition
(http://www.gentleware.com/products/download.php3). I downloaded it a few
days ago. It is mentioned on the ArgoUML project page and is a polished
version...looks really good.

You gave us a good start document, Keiron...I've been following the further
discussions and it seems to me that we really ought to take this to diagrams
ASAP. I'm thinking, too, that this is the best way for long-time FOP
developers to capture their knowledge and get it out to a wider audience.
That's not to say that we stop coding. :-)

If you want to divvy out bits of design I'll be happy to take one chunk.
Looks like you're currently design lead.

Regards,
Arved

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)