The other option I have tried is using a table within the block, creating
rows and columns that intersect at the points where I want to place the
"block-container". That works, and by using number-columns-spanned and
number-rows-spanned I can get the cells to overlap each other if there are
multiple "block-containers" at arbitrary points. I am not sure if this is
intended behaviour or not. Maybe is a bug.

        <fo:block>
                <fo:table>
                                <fo:table-column column-width="50mm"/>
                                <fo:table-column column-width="20mm"/>
                                <fo:table-column column-width="20mm"/>
                                <fo:table-column column-width="20mm"/>
                        <fo:table-body>
                          <fo:table-row height="10mm">
                                <fo:table-cell number-columns-spanned="3"
number-rows-spanned="2" border-style="solid"><fo:block>Some
text</fo:block></fo:table-cell><fo:table-cell/>
                                  </fo:table-row>
                          <fo:table-row height="10mm">
                                <fo:table-cell column-number="2"
number-columns-spanned="3" number-rows-spanned="2"
border-style="solid"><fo:block>Some  more text</fo:block></fo:table-cell>
                                  </fo:table-row>
                          <fo:table-row height="5mm"/>
                        </fo:table-body>
                </fo:table>