Louis,

Unfortunately, you can only use absolute values for the column-width
attribute currently (like 3cm). I'm currently planning on adding support
for the proportional-column-width() function in table-column which would
provide a similar way of specifying widths.
For example, to get three columns of equal width, you would use:
<fo:table-column column-width="proportional-column-width(1)"/>
<fo:table-column column-width="proportional-column-width(1)"/>
<fo:table-column column-width="proportional-column-width(1)"/>
The table-width must be specified and the layout set to "fixed" in order
for this to work. But the table-width itself could be a percentage,
which is interpreted relative to the block containing the table.

I'll certainly post to the list when I get this done.

Regards,
Karen Lease