There are disclaimers stating that Fop is not ready for production level use.
However many of us use it.
I can generate 2+ page pdfs with graphics in less than 30 seconds...this is just
to give you an idea. I a using JDK1.2.2 with 512MB of RAM
If you could paste/attach your servlet code or the xml, xsl files someone might
be able to take a look at  it to see if something is going on there.