Christian Geisert wrote:

> Alex V. Alishevskikh wrote:
>
>> Hi, there,
>>
>> I've found what "messages.ru" file is missing in the AWT Renderer
>> resources. As a result, AWTStarter crashes with NullPointerException
>> on launching it on russian system.
>>
>> The another issue is wrong encoding in "resources.ru" file (it looks
>> like 8859-1 ), what makes the cyrillic labels and menus are unreadable.

No, it was coded in 8859-5 (Cyrillic) or Windows 1251, I can see
machine and did not set -encoding javac compilation option. I believe
your change is, however, a good one.

I notice you also change some translations.(About, Show, etc.).
.

>> I've created the messages.ru and resources.ru files with russian text
>> in UTF-8 (see attached files). It seems what it works well (FOP
>> 0.20.3, Sun JDK 1.3.0).

Did you use Unicode escape sequences (with native2ascii) ? If not, I'm
not sure it works all the time (might because of BOM).

? The only encoding that Properties and PropertyResourceBundle
understand is ISO 8859-1 with Unicode escapes. This is not UTF-8. UTF-8
encodes Unicode characters into sequences of 1 to 4 bytes using a
mapping specified in The Unicode Standard, version 2.0 or 3.0. Other
encodings need to be converted with the native2ascii tool. This applies
to all releases from 1.1 to 1.3. ?
http://www.sun.com/developers/gadc/faq/java/files/properties.html#2.0

>> I wish to propose the solution for case when AWTStarter cannot finds
>> the resource bundle appropriated for user language: then let it to
>> use the english (*.en) resources as default.
>

> [..]
>
>> It should prevent the crashes on machines with language settings are
>> unsupported in AWT renderer resources. Any opinions?

I wonder if this is a good idea.

Why not use whatever is in the default resourceBundle ? Hardcoding seems
useless at best when there is a more flexible built-in mechanism
(getBundle search).
However, it looks like this mechanism is short-circuited in AWTStarter
by using a ResourceBundle name that incorporates the language ("
resource = getResourceBundle(TRANSLATION_PATH + "resources." +
language)") and does not set any Locale. I do not believe this to be wise.

This is an i18n issue.

P. Andries