        From: Arved Sandstrom [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
        Sent: Wed 4/24/2002 10:06 PM
        To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject: Interesting Aside

        I thought this was rather interesting. There is an article on XML.COM
        entitled "Government and Finance Industry Urge Caution on XML"
        (http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/04/24/gaonacha.html). Lest we start thinking
        of XSL as a second-best W3C Recommendation that is viewed slightly askance
        by many in the XML community (which I think it is :-)), consider the fact
        that the US government, in the report cited in the article, clearly mentions
        XSL 1.0 in its discussion of core XML standards (pages 18 & 34 in the PDF
        document).

        I think this is encouraging. Probably for all developers _and_ users. A lot
        of the other XML technologies out there are getting the limelight, but when
        it comes right down to it XSL-FO is a solid spec for a solid requirement -
        producing good-looking paper from XML. Let the other people have fun with
        Web Services and RDF and schemas - I am perfectly happy with a relatively
        stable spec that _definitely_ has a strong business case. :-)

        If you read the report, incidentally, the GAO is not urging caution with
        respect to XML, per se - it has to do with how the technology is being
        adopted.

        Regards,
        AHS
        Arved Sandstrom