From: Arved Sandstrom [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, 23 May 2002 12:00 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Why do links generate multiple rectangles in PDF?

Yes, the code is still in there, essentially unchanged.

If you look at BasicLink.java you'll see a call to LinkSet.merge(), _if_ a
system property called "links.merge" has been set, and is anything other
than "no", on the command line. It would probably be useful to change the
default behaviour here.

The merge() method in LinkSet.java is very much still in existence.
Presumably, because of the default setting, this has never been used by
anyone for at least a year (maybe closer to 2 years), so I have no idea
whether it works anymore. It's worth a try, and I'm sure it's quite fixeable
(is that a word???). Now that I look at it this method only joins links on
the same line, which is clearly an improvement over what you have now. It
could be improved for paragraphs I'm sure.

Regards,
Arved