Hi,

If I remember correctly (and read the right archive messages) the
original trigger was the jdk1.3 specific code for AWT fonts. Suggesting
the need to handle jdk version specific issues.
There are a number of potential issues.
For jdk1.4 I recently discovered they have image IO classes that use JAI
in the background. There is also the PDFGraphicsConfiguration class
(this has the added problem that both jdk1.4 and pre-jdk1.4 versions
cannot be compiled by the same compiler).

So there are issues that need to be dealt with, the question then is
what is the best way: a runtime classloader solution or a compile time
solution.
Run time (if it works well) is better for distribution and users.

>From what I have seen most of the "Classloader problems" occur due to
the classloader not properly implementing something and when classes it
loads load other libraries it can get into trouble.

It feels to me like a separate project: for example a wrapper that loads
the jar, the default jar contains the all the classes for normal use and
other jars contain a subset of classes for particular jdk versions, the
configuration determines what jar contains classes for particular jdks.
But it still needs a place to start.

Sorry I can't give a definite yes or no answer. Will it be useful, quite
possibly. Will it cause trouble, I don't think so. Is it the best
solution, no idea.

Hope that helps.
Keiron.