Hi Paul,
        maybe we can try to create a new community expecially focus on
authoring around FOA (http://foa.sourceforge.net)
FOA is not WYSIWYG but if there is enough people and expertise to create
such an application FOA as already a strong background for creating and
managing templates.
FOA also is well integrated with FOP and if there will be interest int
future, can be build on top of FOP to provide an interactive WYSIWYG
interface.
Fabio