Mostly it was for caching benefits.  As I said, though, I haven't read enough code to
know.  I just thought I'd throw it out as a possibile way to save on memory usage when
FOP processes large documents.  *shrug* ;)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremias Maerki [mailto:dev.jeremias@;greenmail.ch]
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 1:38 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: HashMaps (WAS:RE: interface instead of implementation)

For caching and if done correctly, yes, there could be benefits.
WeakReferences can be used if you have objects you want to keep but
you're not angry when they get swept away by the GC. Good for keeping
images and fonts in memory, but for overall FOP I don't see any use case.
Or can anyone think of another one?

On 06.11.2002 18:16:47 Rhett Aultman wrote:
> You mentioned HashMaps briefly here.  I suppose I could try auditing the
> code and answering my own question here, but I have very little free
> time in general. (Hopefully, I'll have more free time after
> Saturday...I've spent a lot of time for weeks studying for the GRE). So,
> I'll just ask- has anyone considered looking into the potential memory
> benefits of using WeakHashMaps instead of HashMaps?

Jeremias Maerki