-----Original Message-----
From: Keiron Liddle [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 9:11 AM
To: FOP
Subject: RE: Getting breaks: revisited

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 14:20, Rhett Aultman wrote:

>No, in the design the best break cannot be before the block, there is no
break before everything on the page.<

When you say "in the design," do you mean that this is expected behavior as it is now
or as it should be at some point in the future?

>>It doesn't matter how many constraints there are, there will always be a
best break on the page that will place some contents on the page. The
contents on its page, therefore an infinite loop is impossible.
<<

I hear what you're saying, and this should ideally seem correct, but if this is the
way that things are now, I think that what is happening and what is ideally happening
are out of touch with one another.

Now to extend that to a more general situation. It will need to find
every break in the page sequence and compare the constraints that are
broken. Then attempt to adjust those breaks so fewer constraints are
broken.
<<

I believe this is not far from what was being suggested ala the concept of a "layout
plan".  This is also not far from what I was describing earlier when I talked about
first gathering up all of the information about various constraints and page breaks
and then applying decisions about what is to be done.  The name of the game is
spotting the issues before they're run into.

Why do you think that it cannot be extended to handle this.
<<

I think that a system that has full knowledge of proposed breaks and constraints and
can make and enforce decisions about when and how to pick and choose should he able
to.  It hasn't seemed like you've been interested in following that route.

The question to me is how to organise this in a good way that does not
mean using lots of memory and processing at many levels while still
being able to handle the tricky parts.
<<

Yes, but I don't think we should dwell on that for too long.  Getting something that
handles the tricky parts is more important in my mind than worrying about
optimization.  In my experience, optimization solutions become obvious once the
implementation is found to work.