All cool, but how exactly is that better than having a PDF template that
is stitched behind or in front of the FOP result using iText or PJ?
Works well. Ok, PDF reading with our own library is a bonus as is better
XML output for debugging. But I don't see any immediate need for this at
the moment given our limited resources. Or do I miss anything?

On 19.12.2002 08:05:54 Keiron Liddle wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 15:23, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > > I don't get this.  How can PDFs be transformed?
> >
> > There are Java libraries that read PDFs. What would be really cool is to
> > have a reader or something like it that uses a PDF as a template.
> > Using FOP for just filling out forms is overkill, we just need templating.
> >
> > This is a general use case of PDF transformation, and another that I
> > would really like to see is to generate a "non-controlled copy" stamp on
> > the PDF for the management of ISO9001 documentation.
> >
> > Or simply by adding a copyright statement.
>
> Sounds like some good ideas.
>
> It would be possible to do some work with Fop so that it can:
> - convert xsl:fo to paged xml
> - convert paged xml to pdf (or other formats)
> - define templates with the paged xml
> - append paged xml to a current document
>
> So it would be possible to create the paged xml from fo. Then to do a
> transform or directly convert or append the paged xml to pdf.
> Also the extensions and foreign xml can be passed through directly so
> that both formats support the same extensions, such as svg.
>
> So the changes that would need to be made are:
> - improve and update xml renderer so that it can output SAX
> - improve and update AreaTreeBuilder so that it takes SAX input
> - make some additions to the pdf lib so it can load and read pdf
> documents
>
> Then it shouldn't be so hard to add in extensions for pdf forms etc.

Jeremias Maerki