Jeremias,

>From my understanding of the spec, encryption MUST be the last step.
Encryption will not make the size grow, but it does negate any benefit that
ASCII85 or ASCIIHEX filters provide and THEY do make the file larger.

In a nutshell, I would disable the ASCII85 or ASCIIHEX filters, if
encryption is enabled.

Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremias Maerki [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 4:13 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: PDF Encryption: Clarification

Do I interpret the PDF specs correctly that if encryption is applied it
doesn't make sense to apply ASCII85 or ASCIIHEX filters, because the
generated PDF will always be binary and the filters only increase the
file size? So, these two filters could be disabled in this case. Right?

Here's the key paragraph from PDF 1.3, page 64:
> Stream data is encrypted after all stream encoding filters have been
applied (and is
> decrypted before the stream decoding filters are applied). Decryption of
strings,
> other than those in the Encryption dictionary, is done after
escape-sequence
> processing and hex decoding as appropriate to the string representation
described
> in Section 4.4, “Strings and text.”

Jeremias Maerki