Umm...never mind, my original ideas are not proving to
be the best on *both* of my proposed votes this
week...quite humbling.

1) As for short-circuiting an XML stream into an XSLFO
InputStream within the CommandLineOptions, Jeremias
had pointed out that the buffering would be a
performance/memory drawback.

I saw command-line entering of xml & xsl files
(instead of an xslfo: document) as purely a
convenience factor for the user:  i.e., so he wouldn't
need to run Xalan first.  However, the pipelining of
the streams xml->xslfo->document does give a
performance boost, i.e., TraxInputHandler is actually
of legitimate use.

Actually I don't mind the design of InputHandler and
its subclasses now that I understand their purpose!
We should probably still get rid of one of
Trax/XSLTInputHandler, due to their duplicative
functionality though.

2) The other vote, that below, of moving the parser
creation to Driver, it appears the parsers are best
kept with the InputHandlers still--primarily because
the regular parser won't work with an non-xslfo XML
stream.  (TraxInputHandler supplies a different parser
than FOInputHandler).  The code can possibly still be
centralized and simplified somewhat, by having an
render() option that will take an InputHandler and
extract the parser and stream itself.  I'll look into
that.

Glen