For those who are interested in / concerned about the line of development I
am taking, I submit this report, to try to make your task easier. I just
committed a change that completely refactors all of the addLayoutManager
methods that were in the FObj subclasses into a Visitor object,
layoutmgr/AddLMVisitor. This is a significant step towards getting the
FOTree stuff independent, but there are two issues that I should mention.

First, to get the Visitor pattern to work, I had to increase visibility of
some variables and/or methods in the various fo classes. I wrestled a bit
about whether this is a good thing or not, and decided that overall, it is.
I think further refactoring will allow some of it to be made less visible
again in the future. The nature of the problem that we are trying to solve
seems to dictate a separation of data from processing (which may seem a
little un-OOP), and this is certainly so if we want LayoutStrategy.

Second, my rudimentary regression testing still works, but I wouldn't be at
all be surprised to find out that I have inadvertantly introduced some
problems. I don't know of a way to prevent it or test for it right now, but
please let me know if you see something broken.

Victor Mote