--- "J.Pietschmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > lm = new InlineStackingLayoutManager() {
> >     protected InlineParent createArea(BasicLink
> node)
> > {
> >         InlineParent area = super.createArea();
> >         setupBasicLinkArea(node, parentLM, area);
> >         return area;
> >     }
> > };
> >
> > This is quite possibly a Java 101 question, but
> what
> > does defining a function in this manner do--does
> it
> > append a new function createArea() to the lm
> object?
> >
> The lm is assigned an instance of an anonymous class
> derived from InlineStackingLayoutManager(), with the
> createArea method added or overridden.
>
> J.Pietschmann

Thanks for the clarification--but for this code to be
activated, InlineStackingLayoutManager's addAreas()
function must be called.  However, the instance of
ISLM in this function is just a local variable whose
addAreas() is never activated (normally it's called by
PageLayoutManager--I can't do so here because of other
PLM-specific objects needed by it.)  Hopefully Victor
can shed more light on this--this may not be an easy
problem to fix.

Glen