On Wednesday, November 12, 2003, at 12:51 PM, Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Clay Leeds [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Is it possible we could implement a system to get the CVS nightlies
(src &/or bin) for fop-1.0Dev zipped and/or tar'd for simple
downloading and available from the Dev tab? Having to log in with CVS
access is kind of a pain, and I don't know of another way to download
the stuff.

Maestro,

Aren't these (sources) already at your disposal as the snapshots on
http://cvs.apache.org/snapshots/xml-fop/ ?

Just a guess... :)

hehehe.. That's what I was looking for (I _thought_ there was a link like that!). Only problem is, I scoured the FOP "Home" and "Development" tabs and couldn't find it. If I couldn't find it after searching (& searching & searching...), how's the average shmoe supposed to... wait a minute. I found the link. It's on the main FOP download page (not visible from the Dev tab). In addition, it doesn't indicate that it is fop-1.0DR1. I'd like to highlight the "SNAPSHOT" better to, among other things, properly identify the snapshots as being fop-1_0DR1 (or "HEAD", or "currently active FOP development branch" or whatever the darn thing is called).

For example,

CURRENT:
* Download a CVS snapshot from the cvs files here. These snapshots are
  built approximately every six hours, and have the GMT of their
  creation time embedded in their names. Please note that CVS snapshots
  are made only for the "redesign" branch.

MODIFIED:
* [b]FOP 1.0DR1 Snapshot[/b] - Download a CVS snapshot of FOP-1_0DR1
  from the cvs files [a href=..]here[/a]. These snapshots are built
  approximately every six hours, and have the GMT of their creation
  time embedded in their names. Please note that CVS snapshots are
  made only for the "redesign" branch.

BTW, IIRC it's been discussed on the list (ad nauseam) that the official "tag" name is HEAD, but frankly, I don't remember why so many terms appear to be synonymous. Unless I'm mistaken, the site refers to "HEAD" using the following other terms: "Redesign" (FOP=>Download), "FOP 1.0DR1" (FOP=>Status), "FOP-1.0Dev" (don't recall where this was). Does it make sense to standardize on this and re-tag it in CVS? Should we also eradicate all other terms for it so visitors will know what to refer to? Obviously in the above "modified" paragraph "redesign" should be changed to whatever is decided.

I'm not trying to be nit-picky here. I just don't want others to get confused as they try to figure this stuff out.

It might also be nice to have at least a "most current" (assuming
there've been bugfixes ;-p) for the 0.20.5 version as well.

These are not available, might come in handy, but would it still be worth
the effort? I guess, to the extent possible, the actual link to the 0.20.5
distro should just point to a package for the latest update...

Greetz,

Andreas

I guess that's not really worth it, although to be honest I don't know if there've been any updates to the "fop-0_20_2-maintain" branch (i.e., 0.20.5). Have there been (the Release Notes don't indicate any changes)? If so, it might be good to identify what they are somewhere. If there are not, then never mind.