From: John Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

So far I have been playing around like the Neanderthal*
that I am. I use Sun Java 1.4.x with xterm, vi, emacs and
occasionally Jedit when I feel modern urges.

I was under the impression the project default JDK was 1.3.1.

Peter has mentioned Eclipse and I have used VisualAge for Java, and either NetBeans or the Sun form thereof.

Is there a path to enlightenment (excuse the trollish tone)
therein ? Given that FOP can be installed and started in
TBI (The Bash IDE), are there other graphical IDE's with a
reasonable learning curve ?

I have both Win98 and RH9 available to me. The RH box
has more resources in addition to having the usual Linux
advantages.

Win98 is the from the unstable era of MS platforms. Win 2K or XP is much better. I'm using JBuilder as my Java IDE.

I cant comment on the other tools you've discussed as I dont have access to a UNIX system.

Chris

Use MSN Messenger to send music and pics to your friends http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger