Thanks, Finn and John Austin, for your efforts here.

Victor, not to rush you, but how agreeable are you in
general on switching to integer enumerations for FOP
properties?  (Given Alt-Design, Peter obviously
approves.)  I checked Alt-Design's PropNames.java[1]
and liked what I saw.  It doesn't necessarily have to
be that particular design, just the idea of integer
constants in general.

[1]
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-fop/src/java/org/apache/fop/fo/Attic/PropNames.java?content-type=text%2Fplain&rev=1.1.2.1

Joerg? Jeremias?

In addition to the performance improvements,
I suggested before we could have some form of

// very rough pseudocode
checkPropertySupported (int property) {
    return isSupported[property];
}

to quickly index properties supported for a particular
FO.

Also, for toString() implementations that will list
*all* the properties for a particular FO, we might be
able to have something very simple like this:

class FObj:

String toString {
   String state;
   for (int i; i < PROPMAX; i++) {
      state += getPropertyValue(i).toString() + "\n";
   }
   return state;
}

It appears that using int constants gives us more ways
to efficiently work with the data.

Thanks,
Glen