Thanks for clarifying this Chris. I wasn't certain whether Glen was referring to FOP *development* requiring Java 1.4 SDK or FOP *deployment* requiring 1.4. It appears you are thinking he's referring to *deployment* as well, so my thought process isn't totally off-base.

FOP requires Java 1.2.x runtime or later. However, in my experience, I've found bugs in AWT font rendering (mainly with kerning) which is fixed with Sun Java 1.4.1 or later (actually ~1.4.0_03+ if I'm not mistaken) or IBM Java 1.3.0+.

In my case, we have some rather large users (one client processes 300,000+ pdfs and printouts per month) running FOP on AIX 4.3 running Java 1.3.0 (build 1.3.0, J2RE IBM), and I doubt my company can get them to switch. Thankfully, fop-0.20.4 works great for them, so it may be moot for them. However, while I should be able to get them to move to fop-0.20.5 after extensive testing, I'll have trouble getting them to upgrade their Java runtime.

Web Maestro Clay