I know this subject has come up before, but I still cant quite get things working after trawling through the archives.

I'm using WinCVS 1.3 and Putty to connect to the cvs.apache.org. My understanding was that using SSH keys was optional but strongly encouraged. So I had a go at creating the private/public key pairs, and put the public key into .ssh directory on my apache home, and specified the private key file to Putty, but when I click "open" in Putty and enter userid/password I get a message saying

Trying public key authentication.
Key is of wrong type (PuTTY SSH2 private key)

Any ideas, what this means? I specified SSH2 (RSA) when I generated my keys. I noticed in the archives that some people have authorized_keys and others have authorized_keys2 file, which do I need? I tried both, but I still got the same message.

Thinking that SSH is not strictly required for write access, I had a go at updating my description on the Team page, but WinCVS says:

cvs [server aborted]: "commit" requires write access to the repository

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris